Monday, June 21, 2010

Bubbles and Fans

Now that my summer class has finally ended, I have been able to get back to the wedding planning process. There's already a more complicated project going on right now, but I figured that I would knock off one of the easier projects. This time it was the bubbles and fans.

Items:
- Assortment of fans purchased through The Knot
- Bubbles purchased through The Knot
- Ribbons purchased on sale at Michaels
- Flower boxes purchased at Ikea

I started this off by unloading all three 48-count boxes into one of the flower boxes. My fiancee though this looked fine, but I wanted it to look more organized and stay organized when people take out the bubbles. So I took the cardboard spacers that came with the bubbles and used that to keep the bubbles all in place.











Here's a photo of the bubbles in the boxes with the cardboard spacers in place. I wanted to see what this would look like with the fans so I took them out of the boxes and placed them into the other flower boxes I had. My fiancee kept on laughing at me because I would have to put all of the fans back into the boxes afterwords. He just thought it was funny how obsessed I was with seeing everything all together.












This was not the final result, just how everything would looked all spaced out. To spice things up a bit, I purchased some ribbon during an easter clearance sale and used it to decorate the bubbles. Due to poor planning, I only grabbed one roll of brown ribbon and should have probably grabbed two.

The ribbon was cut into 6" lengths and then I tied two pieces around the heart base of the bubbles. Half of the bubbles had one brown and one white ribbon while the other half had two white ribbons.























All together:











But the fun doesn't stop there! Because I had so much ribbon left over I decided that there needed to be more to these boxes. With that, I took a hand punch to the sides and spent time looping the ribbon through the holes to make the sides look fuller.











There were a couple of snaffoos with punching the holes too close together or being a little too rough with cinching down the ribbon which resulted in tearing which resulted in tearing the cardboard. I fixed this situation by using judgment to cover up the tears and came up with a fuller looking result:











This may or may not be the finished project because the boxes don't have a polyurethane coating on them to be water resistant. We may end up staining the wood as well, but we're still pondering if we want to do that. For now, the boxes are (mostly) assembled!

No comments:

Post a Comment