Sunday, July 19, 2009

My Dress, THE Dress

This was just one of the projects that I started that I knew could be completed without knowing the venue. I started out just by paying attention and researching the heck out of dresses I could wear, what different types there were, fabrics, the whole works and now that I've settled with the dress I bought everything I learned has probably all been forgotten. The best advice I could give to anyone is to just look and be open to trying on whatever.

After doing this massive research I decided to start looking at David's Bridal's entire catalog and saved the ones I thought were interesting to the my favorites section. The list got really long after a while but after sorting them by price (which helped me eliminate a few), style, shape, material, etc I had a better idea on how to narrow down the list. Luckily for me, I was able to get a really nice sales associate and friend to help me out while I tried on at least 30 dresses.

NO PEEKING CHUCK!!!
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
last chance
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
TURN BACK NOW!!!
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
V
V
V

This is what I got:


















































I was extremely lucky to buy this for under $300 and I was happy to find that even though it was a discontinued style, I was able to fit into the size 8 they had. There are a few bits that need alteration and I do plan on changing the top from a straight neckline to a sweetheart neckline but overall I like it. Ignore the embarrassing skin spillage on the top of the dress, I haven't been able to get rid of it or find any sites for exercises to reduce this but hopefully all I'll need is a simple alteration for this to be fixed. I have yet to set up an alteration date but it probably won't be until May 2010 so there's plenty of time to try and get rid of that flubber. I'm content with the dress for now, but for a moment I was worried that it looked too much like something a high school kid would wear.

Since then I've been able to buy a slip, plain veil, plain blusher and torsolette from David's Bridal and shoes from Payless Unforgettable Moments but none of that is pictured here. As far as other projects I have in mind, I plan on dying the slip a light blue (testing results in next post) and possibly beading the veil but I have no set ideas on a pattern. I do have a bit of a problem while I'm in the dress with sweating but this could be fixed by finding some underwear or shorts with wicking properties to keep me from getting too nasty with sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment