Monday, January 4, 2010

Actually Dying the Slip

I know I'm about a month late from posting this from the time I actually completed this process, but whatever it's up here now.

To start with, I used three packs of Dylon Bahama Blue dye but then thought that since I bought four packs that I might as well use all four. I used a big black tub for dying, since I didn't want to stain my tub, added the hottest water that would come out of the faucet, 1c of salt per packet, and poured in the packets one by one that I mixed with boiling water in a bowl before combining it with the big tub of water to make sure it was dissolved.










The next step was to wet down the crinny with warm water and to add it to the mixture. This was the toughest part for me because there was no going back once I put it in the dye and if I didn't like the outcome then I'd have to spend another $50 to get another slip, so yeah I was a little worried.

















I used long BBQ tongs to stir the slip/dye mixture after my last experience and unwillingness to dye/scald my hands blue and just kept mixing until I wanted to stop. I think I stirred for at least half an hour and walked away for a minute or two somewhere in there just to stretch.























So after some time I decided that the slip wasn't going to dye anymore and I was content with the color I achieved and dumped the dye down the drain and proceeded to rinse the crinny when the water had cleared. This took a while as well because I thoroughly rinsed all layers because for some strange reason there were little dots of dye either from leftover dye that hadn't dissolved or from some fabric that somehow fell off and clumped on the tulle. No big problem though, all looked fine from what I could tell.














With all that said and done I hung it up to dry and used clips that are normally used to close chip bags as clothespins. I did notice that the tulle was really light, but when it's layered together with a lot of the tulle it looks just fine. I think this could be because the thread count (or whatever it is for tulle) is very low compared to normal fabric
















The last problem is that some of my tub was tinted blue, but I could easily scrub that out with a pumice stone. Oh, and I took off my rings before messing with any of this since I didn't want them coming anywhere near this mess.
Other than that, slip = done.

No comments:

Post a Comment