Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pocketfolds, Securing the Pocket

Once you're done with scoring, folding and cutting your pocketfolds it's time for the messy part: Securing the Pocket. There were many ways to do this from just plain 'ole tacky glue to fancy-schmancy glue dottie thingamajiggers that turn out to be expensive if you have a lot of pocketfolds to make. I just stuck (haha!) with the tacky glue because I wasn't sure how well the tape or glue dots would work, I didn't have to worry about a certain width being in stock, and was a bit worried that the glue dots would create an odd texture and undesirable increase in thickness. before going ahead with putting the glue on the pocketfolds, I did test it out on some scrap paper to make sure the glue would hold and not unstick at a later time.

With the testing done I picked up some regular tacky glue and some cheap foam paint brushes so I could get a thin layer on the paper. I also used some scrap cardboard I had lying around as a "paint" tray and so I could get the glue all the way to the edge without smearing it all over the dining room table and "painted" a thin layer of glue onto the pocket just like this:




















After that, I closed the pocketfolds, smoothed them down by pushing outward so any excess glue seeped out rather than in, removed the excess glue that seeped out (if any) and then stacked them underneath some heavy boxes (or you can use books) to dry.
Ta da














A day of drying and forgetting about them later, I took them out from underneath the heavy boxes and made sure none of them stuck together. This is one of the downsides to working with glue but fortunately for me, I used just enough glue for the pocket to stick but not enough for them to stick together so much that they disfigured themselves when I took them apart. There were a few that were slightly stuck, but it was nothing to get my panties in a bunch about.
Other than that Pocketfolds = done, still working on everything that goes inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment